Ok, I’m gonna gush and I’m gonna wear out my exclamation key!!!!!!!!! I got an award today, my second one, the lovely happy, sunshiney Sunshine Award!!! I woke this morning to find a message from the ever wonderful and very entertaining Melissa Janda telling me I had an award and my heart leaped! Now I can hear a few of you at the back; “What’s the big deal, Jill? It’s just a blogging award”. Well, let me tell you, this is more than just an award, oh yes…well okay, it is just an award, but I love them!!!
- Include the award’s logo in a post or on your blog
- Link to the person who nominated you
- Answer 10 questions about yourself
- Nominate 10 bloggers
- Link your nominees to the post and comment on their blogs letting them know they have been nominated
10 Things about Me:
Melissa hasn’t stipulated what questions to answer, so I’m going to add some of my own.
1) A favourite quotation: One of my favourites has to be this one from Nelson Mandela’s inauguration speech, originally written by Marianne Williamson. This clip from the movie “Coach Carter”:
2) A favourite film: You’ll notice I’m not naming any top favourites, mainly because I don’t think I could ever decide on a number one and if I included a list it would probably feature everyone’s favourites. This is a clip from one of my favourites, Harold and Maude and (for those that don’t know it) don’t worry, Harold is ok at the end of the clip 😉
3) Favouite animal: Dogs would be at the top of my list, but I love bunny rabbits and… rats.
4) Beatles or Rolling Stones: Pff, The Beatles, it’s not even a competition 😉
5) Make mine a… Whisky and coke, please. JD is best but I like Jameson’s or Famous Grouse too.
6) A favourite destination in the UK: Portmerion, Wales. Probably anywhere in Wales, it’s way prettier than England.
7) Bugs or Daffy? Hmm, a tough question. Duck season or rabbit season? Maybe I’ll side with Daffy, he always got the short end of the stick.
8) Prefer Getting or Giving Presents? Give, receive, no, give… well, it’s nice to think that someone wants to make you happy by giving you a present but I’ve always felt a little bit awkward opening presents (?) so I’ll say better to give.
9) Do you have any quick and easy editing tips? The quickest one if you edit on a keyboard is to use your ‘Find’ facility to root out modifiers, like very, quite etc, and the word ‘that‘. The majority of the time you’ll find (that) you don’t need it 🙂
Yeah, I’m going to stop at nine, because it suits me really.
Now on to the Award, and an initial thought…
I know now not everybody loves awards. When I got my first award I rushed to send it on to everyone I knew (it was very early on in my limited blogging experience and I didn’t know so many other blogs) but then, to my surprise I found that not everyone was over the moon about their award. It turns out some view awards as being akin to chain letters and don’t like them at all.
I received a chain letter once when I was at school, it was meant to be a positive letter, no evil connotations, just a peaceful chain of letters. I didn’t ‘get it’ at all and so, not having all that many friends at school, and not feeling inclined to write out 15 letters by hand (this was back when computers were room-sized and featured as the villain in hip new movies like WarGames) I stowed it away in my drawer and thought no more of it. A few days later the friend who’d sent it to me came over to confront me, she was in tears, the letter was part of a chain that was supposed to have broken the record books, and I had broken it. I can’t tell you how sad that made me, not the record-breaking bit (come on, really?) no, it was the sight of my friend crying and the awful knowledge that I was the one responsible. Ooo, I felt bad.
So, after that dismal, miserable story, I just want to stress now, in no uncertain terms, that this award is meant to make you happy, it’s meant to make you smile, and I really hope it does because I’m sending it on with all the best wishes in the world. One of the best things about these awards (apart from the fact that they’re incredibly pretty and make your blog look colourful and interesting) is the fact that you can send a small piece of the very great gratitude you feel for your fellow bloggers in the only way you can (short of hunting down their home addresses and sending them actual statuettes which would be such hard work and more than a little bit creepy). So, without any expectations on my part, I’d like to announce my recipients, the bestest darn bloggers in the whole darn blogosphere as far as I’m concerned (though I’ll admit there are probably some good ones I haven’t seen).
Remember, you can take the award, no strings attached. Go forth little award and fill the blogosphere with sunshine!!!!